The Benefits of Babywearing
We carry our babies for almost a year while pregnant. And while in utero they're warm and safe, our breaths and heartbeat their constant companions. But when baby is born, it's a whole new world for them (and us too!). Luckily, we can babywear, which brings our little ones right back to us. Babywearing gives both of us that closeness again, while also providing baby with numerous benefits to development, both physically and emotionally. We call the first few months after birth the "fourth trimester," and for good reason. Our little ones need us more than ever as they make the transition into this new, big world. And as an added bonus, our partners or caregivers can babywear too, allowing them to bond with baby in a new way, building a stronger bond between your child and the people who love her.
And really, a carried baby is a happy baby...and doesn't that make parents happy? The closeness stimulates Oxytocin, a beneficial hormone production, resulting in a more intimate parental bond. Babywearing also adds a whole new level of convenience to your day -- simply place your little one in your baby carrier and go!
Did you know that Babywearing:
- Strengthens the bond between parent and baby, as you maintain a closeness throughout your day, especially during the "4th trimester."
- Aids in baby's development, both physically and emotionally, including promoting early language development. And did you know that a carried baby is generally calmer thanks to all of her primal/survival needs being met?
- Decreases risk of SIDS and flat-head syndrome.
- Promotes neural development, respiratory and gastrointestinal health, and aids in balance.
- Lets moms discreetly breastfeed on the go.
- Boosts breast milk production due to close contact with baby.
- Allows caregivers to be "hands-free" to get stuff done while still holding baby.
- Promotes early language development. Babies learn by watching faces, and babywearing puts your little one at conversational height- "the best seat in the house."
- Allows parents to see more of the world through baby's eyes. And your babies get to discover their new world from the safety and comfort of your body.
- Fosters a closeness through toddlerhood. Toddlers can be worn too, reminding them of their "home base," and allowing that bond to continue as they grow.
- Fosters a close parent-child bond through toddlerhood. Toddlers can be worn too, reminding them of their "home base," and allowing that bond to continue as they grow.
[This article was first published on Ergobaby.com.]